Who are we?
Mid-Missouri TAWL is a local organization of teachers and educators in mid-Missouri who meet once a month at Mary Paxton Keeley Elementary School in Columbia, Missouri. Our organization is a part of the Whole Language Umbrella (WLU) that is within the National Council Teachers of English (NCTE). Anyone interested in attending the meetings or the conference are welcome to join us! Earn professional development credit for attending our meetings and the annual conference.
We are proud to have brought several well-recognized writers and literacy professionals to our annual conferences and meetings.
What is "whole language"?
The Whole Language Umbrella (WLU) is based on a view of Whole Language as a dynamic philosophy of education. While no test of conformity to a set of beliefs is imposed on members, WLU accepts nine beliefs as common to whole language practitioners.
- A holistic approach to the acquisition and development of literacy in all its aspects.
- A positive view of all human learners.
- A belief that language is central to human learning.
- A belief that learning is easiest when it is from whole to part, when it is in authentic contexts, and when it is functional for the learners.
- A belief in the empowerment of learners and teachers.
- A belief that learning is both personal and social and that classrooms and other educational settings must be learning communities.
- An acceptance of all learners and the languages, cultures and experiences they bring to their education.
- A belief that learning is both joyous and fulfilling.
- A belief in the developmental nature of learning which builds on learners' prior knowledge and experience.
In honor of one of Mid-Missouri's TAWL early founders, The Patricia W. Jenkins Scholarhship Fund has been established with the University of Missouri's College of Education.
2016-17 TAWL Officers and Board
President: Katie Russo
Vice President: Nicole Burks
Secretary: Nikki Kunkel
Treasurer: Shelli Thelen
Membership: Nancy Knipping
Political Action Marilyn Andre
Ex-Officio Members: Dorothy Watson
Renewal Conference Co-Chairs 2016